- Protecting children from abuse and maltreatment.
- Preventing harm to children’s health or development.
- Ensuring children grow up with the provision of safe and effective care.
- Taking action to enable all children and young people to have the best outcomes.
DBS registration: Criminal Records Bureau, CRB checks are now called Disclosure and Barring Service DBS checks.
You may need to check someone’s criminal record if they apply:
- For certain jobs or voluntary work, eg working with children or in healthcare
- To foster or adopt a child
How to get a DBS check click here for details NB: DBS checks are free for volunteers but an administration charge may apply.
Local Safeguarding Children Board: Section 13 of the Children Act 2004 requires each local authority to establish a Local Safeguarding Children Board (LSCB) for their area. West Berkshire LSCB is made up of organisations which work with children and young people. The LSCB is the key mechanism for agreeing how local services and professionals should work together to safeguard and promote the welfare of children.
The LSCB is responsible for:
- Co-ordinating the activities of all agencies concerned with the protection of children
- Developing and agreeing local policies and procedures
- Assuring the quality of child protective services
- Raising awareness in the wider community of the need to safeguard children